Click on the button below to see the full calendar of 2023 Alumni Association Events. Click on an event to see the details of that event.
- Thursday, June 22
- Friday, June 23
- Monday, June 26
THE CIRCLE SCHOLARSHIPS
for Teachers and Librarians
The Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle (CLSC) is one of the oldest continuously operating book clubs in America. Begun in 1878 as a way for women and the less privileged to educate themselves, the CLSC continues to select quality reading material pertinent to the issues of today. Renowned authors are brought into Chautauqua Institution to discuss their writings, answer questions from readers, and sign their books.
Those interested in graduating from the CLSC must read twelve CLSC book selections and pay for four years of CLSC dues, which are currently $10 per year. All four years may be paid at once, allowing members who have met the reading requirements to graduate immediately.
In addition to the CLSC, the Literary Arts Department also offers writing classes. Each week throughout the season, a prose class and a poetry class are featured, taught by nationally known, highly regarded authors and poets. These classes are held in the Literary Arts Center of Alumni Hall, also home to the Alumni Association of the CLSC. The Alumni Association provides scholarships that allow individuals to attend one of these outstanding writing classes each year for four consecutive years.
Teachers and public or school librarians who work in Chautauqua County, New York are eligible for this scholarship if they agree to:
- Complete the CLSC graduation requirements.
- Start a reading circle with at least two other colleagues, friends, or students.
- Enroll in a prose or poetry writing workshop at the Chautauqua Writers’ Center for one week for each of the 4 years.
- Read at least 4 books from the historic CLSC book list each year.
Applying is easy. Complete the application form and submit a summary of your work experience. Four, 4-year scholarships are awarded each year. You will find the link to the application below.
For a paper application please write: firstname.lastname@example.org
Years One through Three
- Tuition for one week-long writing class, recipient's choice of prose or poetry, held at the Writer's Center in the Literary Arts Center at Alumni Hall
- One parking pass for the week
- One gate pass for the week
- One $100 gift certificate to the Chautauqua Bookstore to purchase CLSC books
- One $10 annual membership to the CLSC
- $25 for class dues in preparation for graduation from the CLSC
- Gate passes for their class Vigil service and Recognition Day
- All of the items included in years one through three.
To donate to our scholarship programs, click on the button below, then scroll down the form to find the scholarship donation line.
Hours in Season
9 - 5